Student jobs

A part-time job while studying abroad can help you to gain skills that a university or college degree won’t teach you. It further helps you to improve the confidence, develop interpersonal and language skills.

As an international student enrolled in a full time course in countries such as Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland you may have an option to do part-time work. Working while studying helps you to meet your living expenses to a certain extent and it also helps you to earn valuable overseas work experience, which will prove useful in your future career.

Before you start searching for jobs, it is important to take several things into account, such as the laws in your country of study, and whether there is a limit to the number of hours you can work according to your visa type, if applicable. Different countries have different regulations when it comes to work available to international students, so it’s important to check them before applying for jobs. Another important thing you should take into account are your studies and lifestyle – A job should have minimal impact on your education.

Generally all universities / colleges abroad have a careers office, which regularly posts employment vacancies. The local industry and employers generally recruit students for part-time work from here. In addition to this the careers office will also prepare you with resume writing skills and give you an update on the opportunities and where to find them.

Other options of finding jobs are thru local community newspapers and networking. Students will have to meet people, go and personally drop resumes at various spots which can include local service stations, fast food joints, restaurants, super markets and other business establishments.

Some of the best Part-time Jobs abroad for international students are:

Retail any kind of store that sells goods to customers, from clothing to electronics. It could be a small store, a chain of stores or a large department store.

Hospitality employers include cinemas, restaurants, bars, hotels, takeaway food stores, barista and sporting venues.

Services employers include supermarkets, petrol stations, call centres and various businesses requiring administration work, cleaners, gardeners, delivery drivers etc .

Industry if you are lucky, you might be able to gain employment that is related to the field you are studying (for example, a media student might be able to work part time assisting at a local publisher , local television or radio station)

Work at the University

Working on campus at the university or institute you are enrolled in is one of the most popular options for international students. University employment is not just for academics, there are countless types of jobs available from working in the writing centre, as a teaching assistant, in the cafeteria, to computer centres. Another on-campus option is working for a students’ union. This is a good opportunity to get involved in current issues and to help other.

While getting a job on campus is usually very competitive. There are many international and local students who wish to work part-time during their studies, so it’s important to get ready for the interview and to show enthusiasm and give it the best shot .

Internship & Volunteering

It may be possible for you to find an internship within a company relevant to your field of study, otherwise known as co-op or placement. Being an intern gives you some much-needed experience and it opens numerous opportunities. Depending on the country and your field of study, it may even be possible for you to be hired by the company once you complete your studies. In any case, an internship will give you a lot of experience relevant to your field of study, so you can see it both as a job opportunity and gaining some valuable experience in your field

There are numerous volunteering opportunities international students can use to gain experience and meet new people. Being a volunteer is one of the more rewarding and interesting work opportunities, and one of the biggest advantages of volunteering is the wide range of positions available. There is more varied work available for volunteers, so chances are that you will be able to choose a role you truly like. There are lots of companies and organisations looking for volunteers, so this is a great way for international students to get involved and gain some much-needed experience. Volunteering also opens up a host of opportunities for international students and it gives you both a work experience and a more varied CV.

Part-Time Work Regulations in Different Countries

Country International Student Employment Rules
Australia International students enrolled in a full time program can work up to 40 hours per fortnight (every 2 weeks) and full time during vacation
Canada International students enrolled in a full time program can work for up to 20 hours per week during term and full time during academic holidays
United Kingdom Undergraduate and Postgraduate level international students on a valid student visa are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours each week during term and full time during academic holidays
Ireland Students holding a valid immigration stamp 2 permission will be permitted to work can up to 20 hours a week during term time and up to 40 hours a week in the holidays. Holiday periods have been standardised - June to September inclusive and from 15 December to 15 January. Students with stamp 2A permission are not allowed to work
New Zealand International students on a student visa enrolled in full time course are allowed to work part-time up to 20 hours a week during classes and full-time on scheduled holidays. If you are enrolled in Masters by research or doctoral degree program awarded by a New Zealand tertiary institution you can work full time during the term and full time during scheduled holidays
United States Employment opportunities for international students while studying in USA are limited.

F1 student visa holders cannot work in any off campus employment during the first year of their studies. In certain circumstances the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) may grant permission to certain students for off-campus employment only after one year of study.

M1 student visa holders cannot accept any employment except for purpose of temporary practical training

J1 student visa holders cannot be accepted ion any forms of employment other that which is a part of their integral part of course or program

For more information on part-time job regulations, minimum wage and other conditions please get in touch with us (