Study in USA

All about Form I-20

The I-20 form is a certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant student status, issued by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) - certified school stating:

  • that the student has satisfied all the requirements
  • that a student has been admitted to a full-time study program and
  • that he/she has demonstrated sufficient financial resources to study and live in the US for the duration of your course of study.


All F and M students that study in the United States need a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” This Form I-20 is an important document that you should keep safe, as you will need it throughout the international student life cycle

The I-20 is an important aspect of the visa application process and the original copy can be requested by the Visa Officers at the consulate during your visa interview. There are two types of I-20 forms issued to international students, depending on the type of visa:

-Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Students

-Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status – For Vocational Students

While the two I-20 forms are for different types of academic programs, they contain the same information. The following information will be recorded in the SEVIS when you receive your I-20:

SEVIS ID number

Academic program start and end dates

Intended program of study

Funding sources

CLICK HERE for more details